The pandas make their grand entrance in Berlin

  • The Panda Garden at Zoo Berlin opens today
  • About three-quarters of Zoo visitors are tourists
  • German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese President Xi Jinping welcomed the pandas to their new home yesterday

Berlin, 6 July 2017 Berlin keeps on growing, with the latest couple moving into the Zoo! Pandas Meng Meng and Jiao Qing were officially welcomed by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Chinese President Xi Jinping to their newly built home at a ceremony yesterday. Today, the Zoo opens its 5,000 m² Panda Garden to the public.

With more than three million visitors per year, the Berlin Zoo and its Aquarium is one of the most popular attractions in the German capital. About 63 per cent of its visitors come from abroad, while German visitors from outside Berlin make up another 11 per cent. A total of 74 per cent of the zoo guests have a touristic background.

Everything you need to know about the pandas at

Did you know that a female panda might have simulated a pregnancy in order to get better food? This anecdote as well as other exciting facts about our new neighbours can be found at

The pandas landed in Berlin on 24 June, having travelled by plane from Chengdu, China. Seven-year-old male Jiao Qing and four-year-old female Meng Meng have had some time to get used to their new environment before welcoming guests. They are expected to stay at Berlin Zoo for the next 15 years.

Press material